Friday 31 July 2015

Book Review: The Storyspinner by Becky Wallace

The Storyspinner (The Keeper's Chronicles #1) by Becky Wallace
Publication Date: March 3rd, 2015
Format: Library Book
Drama and danger abound in this fantasy realm where dukes play a game for the throne, magical warriors race to find the missing heir, and romance blossoms where it is least expected.

In a world where dukes plot their way to the throne, a Performer’s life can get tricky. And in Johanna Von Arlo’s case, it can be fatal. Expelled from her troupe after her father’s death, Johanna is forced to work for the handsome Lord Rafael DeSilva. Too bad they don’t get along. But while Johanna’s father’s death was deemed an accident, the Keepers aren’t so sure.

The Keepers, a race of people with magical abilities, are on a quest to find the princess—the same princess who is supposed to be dead and whose throne the dukes are fighting over. But they aren’t the only ones looking for her. And in the wake of their search, murdered girls keep turning up—girls who look exactly like the princess, and exactly like Johanna.

With dukes, Keepers, and a killer all after the princess, Johanna finds herself caught up in political machinations for the throne, threats on her life, and an unexpected romance that could change everything.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18488433-the-storyspinner?from_search=true&search_version=service_impr

If you love books about fantasy, acrobats, and a world where Storyspinners exist (which I do! Ahhh!) then you'll most likely love this book!

This is a 'typical' young adult book but I found myself really loving this book despite that. I feel like it's mostly because it made me feel like I was young again and I was back in middle school. This is both, in part, with the books I've read during this time and reading all the stories my closest friend wrote. It gave me that sort of vibe and I think that's what drew me in the most. It might seem odd to read this statement though - especially when I'm not being so descriptive about it. I guess it just gave me this sort of heartwarming feeling that I haven't felt in years.

Maybe I should recommend this book for her...

With that being said, though, if you're the kind of person who don't care about cliches in books or if you prefer to not be able to guess what's going to happen... this will probably not be the book for you. If you are willing to overlook these flaws then please do. It's for those reasons above, though, that I decided to give it a three stars.

It's a beautiful world that, while being full of magic, feels really attainable if that makes sense. I feel like it felt realistic while also still having this magic spark in the air. It's nice.

Oddly enough, I don't really feel like Johanna grew much in this book personality wise. I could be slightly biased though with the fact that I fell in love with The Keepers more than anyone else in the book. I like that she placed her focus on family and supporting them before herself but I just... I don't know. I want to learn more about The Keepers, please!

I also want to love Johanna much more in the sequel. Considering the ending, though, I'd be surprised if I didn't. Fingers crossed!

Awesome writing and execution. I can wait for the sequel and I'm more than excited to read more books by this author. Yay!!




No comments:

Post a Comment