Tuesday 21 July 2015

Book Review: The Dreamer by E.J. Mellow

The Dreamer (Dreamland #1) by E.J. Mellow
Publication Date: May 15th, 2015
Format: eARC

It’s night. Always night. Dreams guard against the evil forged by nightmares. Infinite shooting stars illuminate a moonless sky. A city stands alone, surrounded by a darkened field. On its fringes, a man watches one star separate from the masses and fall. What survives the crash will unveil a secret centuries long hidden.

Molly hasn’t slept well since the night of her twenty-fourth birthday. Being struck by lightning might have something to do with it, but then again, her chicken did look a little undercooked at dinner. Whatever the culprit, her life quickly catapults from mundane to insane as, night after night, Molly is transported through her once dreamless sleep to a mysterious land illuminated by shooting stars.

There she meets the captivating but frustrating Dev, and together they discover Molly possesses a power coveted by his people—the ability to conjure almost anything she desires into existence. Seduced by the possibilities of this gift, Molly shifts her attention from waking life toward the man, the magic, and the world found in her dreams.

But Molly must ask herself—does something truly exist if you only see it when you close your eyes?

Faced with the threat of losing everything—her job, best friend, boyfriend, and most importantly, that little thing called her sanity—Molly will learn just how far she’ll go to uncover what is real and what is merely a figment of her imagination.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25309550-the-dreamer

Huge thanks to Xpresso Book Tours for giving me a copy of this book in an exchange for an honest review! <3

Dreeeeeeams! Yeah, I used to be one of those people who enjoyed analyzing her dreams. When I actually recalled them, that is, and when I actually have them. I don't know if they truly have any sort of significant impact on my life whether I research them or not. Kind of like horoscopes in a sense. I still constantly look mine up (btw I'm a Capricorn Sun and an Aquarius Moon) though many people call BS... bleh.

It's not all that unusual for others to not remember their dreams though. Even when you have them you typically have to write down all the memorable parts of it or you can pretty much kiss the memory goodbye. But, for Molly, she finds herself unable to dream - or, at the least, she could never recall them even if she did. Nonetheless, though, they never held much of an effect on her before she found herself stuck on lightning on her birthday. Now she's having strange dreams about a world she doesn't recognize and of people who rarely ever give her straight answers and she doesn't know what to think of it... and it's slowly interfering with her personal life as she struggles to figure out what the hell is going on.

I found this quite enjoyable and, in the end, found myself wishing it never actually ended. In all honesty I feel like that the book I read was only just the beginning and I got myself so excited for what was to come that, once I reached the end, I was just like... what? I want more. MOOOORE!

We get to see another world that we, as humans, don't get to see. This is mostly because this world is a sort of alternative world to our own - I won't say too much more because of potential spoilers but, well, I'll just say that there are reasons why that is. So for two people in this world, Aveline and Dev, to come across a human called Molly who can actually hear them... it's a bit concerning. This is most likely the reason they decide to keep Molly in the dark, at first, but once Dev gets to interact with this young adult a bit more (mostly because she finds herself returning every night) he gives her a bit of a taste of his own world. But it doesn't take long before he realizes his mistake. Mostly because of Molly's power.

I think most of the readers will end up falling in love with this 'alternative world'. Even though most people who live in this world cannot just make things 'appear', like Molly can, it still has this sort of magical atmosphere that I love. (I guess I can thank that to the fact that Molly can only visit via dreaming) The only thing is that we don't really get to see much of the danger of this world until close to the end. I hope I'll get to know more about it in the sequel - especially Molly's role in this world.

I didn't care much about the hinted 'love triangle' between Molly, Dev, and Jared. I'm not against it, though, it's just that in teen fiction (okay, I know this is New Adult technically... but still...) it's usually just a cliche at this point. You know what would be awesome, though? Polyamory. I would love to see more poly relationships in a positive light. There's nothing wrong with three or more people being in a relationship, in my opinion, as long as it's all consented of course.

I love Becca - Molly's best friend. I love her so much. I kind of wouldn't mind having someone like her as a best friend, to be honest. She's straight forward and honest but, come on, I'd rather have someone like her than someone who kept secrets from me all the time. : |

Overall - I want the second book right now. Please send it over to me right now. Pleeeeeease! ;v;



No comments:

Post a Comment