Friday 10 July 2015

Book Review: Frostfire by Amanda Hocking

Frostfire (Kanin Chronicles #1) by Amanda Hocking
Publication Date: January 6th, 2015
Format: Library Book

Bryn Aven is an outcast among the Kanin, the most powerful of the troll tribes.

Set apart by her heritage and her past, Bryn is a tracker who's determined to become a respected part of her world. She has just one goal: become a member of the elite King’s Guard to protect the royal family. She's not going to let anything stand in her way, not even a forbidden romance with her boss Ridley Dresden.

But all her plans for the future are put on hold when Konstantin– a fallen hero she once loved – begins kidnapping changelings. Bryn is sent in to help stop him, but will she lose her heart in the process?


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18105451-frostfire?from_search=true&search_version=service_impr


 It's always a bummer when the one person you've had a crush on for the longest time (possibly since the both of you were in elementary school) turns out to be the one person you catch almost killing your father in the other room.

...Oh. Did that just happened to me? Oops. Well, I guess you probably know more about me than you ever wanted to.

...

Alright, I'm lying. I never experienced something like that before. I can't say I'm disappointed with that though. But if it actually did, and I read this book a little bit afterwards, I'd realize how not useless my life would be because it's an actual faerie story and I actually live in a mystical world. Yay! But, thankfully (or not thankfully?), I'm allowed to live many fantastic worlds due to the mass amount of books that I own and in the library. Wonderful books like this one.

Speaking of, though, Bryn did experience the above within the first pages of this book. What a coincidence.

After the incident happens, though, Konstantin disappears and isn't seen in years. No one knows where he left off. In the meanwhile, Bryn continues to work on becoming a better tracker despite having an unfavorable heritage. Her goal stretches farther from that, though- she hopes to become good enough to be a part of the elite guard, just like her father. But, now, there are Changelings being kidnapped before she can save them back to their original parents... and she discovered Konstantin at the scene of the crime as she kept her eye on one another Changeling. 

I've read some of Amanda Hocking's books before. They are fairly unique, in my opinion, but the actual execution of the story never really catch me. In fact, before I read this book, I wouldn't have recommended any of her books. I feel like, with Frostfire, she has certainly improved a lot. I fell in love with the writing and all of the character interactions. I feel like there were many improvements which made me want to read her books much more often. I hope to see more improvements like this in the future. In fact... I currently have Ice Kissed on my bookshelf. Now I just need to find the time to read it...

The only thing I can truly criticize on is the fact that there's a bad habit of clarifying some things too many times. Typically only explaining new things that come across in the story once is enough. Most of the readers can, for the most part, recall what this certain word or what this action means. There's no real need to explain it multiple times with different wording. It's a minor thing, in my opinion, but readers don't need to be babied a lot honestly...

Overall, though... yes. Read this trilogy. Read it. READ IT! Can Crystal Kingdom come out now please????



No comments:

Post a Comment