Thursday 2 July 2015

Book Review: The Ice Twins by S.K. Tremayne

The Ice Twins by S.K. Tremayne
Publication Date: January 29th, 2015
Format: eARC from Netgalley

A year after one of their identical twin daughters, Lydia, dies in an accident, Angus and Sarah Moorcraft move to the tiny Scottish island Angus inherited from his grandmother, hoping to put together the pieces of their shattered lives.

But when their surviving daughter, Kirstie, claims they have mistaken her identity—that she, in fact, is Lydia—their world comes crashing down once again.

As winter encroaches, Angus is forced to travel away from the island for work, Sarah is feeling isolated, and Kirstie (or is it Lydia?) is growing more disturbed. When a violent storm leaves Sarah and her daughter stranded, Sarah finds herself tortured by the past—what really happened on that fateful day one of her daughters died?


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23553419-the-ice-twins?from_search=true&search_version=service_impr



I don't think I would have read this book had my co-blogger, Amber, had not recommended this book for me. In fact, if I remember correctly, she wanted me to read it because she wanted someone to chat to about this book because it was so awesome. I guess, in a sense, it was my first time experiencing reading a book based on my co-blogger's opinion AND wanting to talk to her about it. Spoilers: we actually didn't talk about it later although that's because I have a bad habit of not doing so.

I love twins. Surely I mentioned this before in one of my book reviews or something. Any story with twins involved I'll most likely want to read it eventually. I read this as soon as possible. Sadly, probably due to the fact of my co-blogger's excitement, I didn't like this book as much as I thought I would. I still loved it, though, but it's not my all time favorite book.

I feel like I should have expected that there would be ghosts involve in this story but it didn't really click until the supernatural parts of this book actually happened. I think that, in itself, boosted the book up for me. I like how the unexplained are used in a story. The thought of that in this story still spooks me now. Who wouldn't find a ghost child scary though. Even more so once you make it to the end and you just sit there... transfixed.

Excuse me as I try to get rid of the shiver up my spine. Ahhhhh.

Nope, nope, nope, nope...

.
.
.
.
.
.

Alright, I'm still a bit spooked by my thoughts, but I'm a little better.

Speaking of, though, I feel like this book is heavily psychological. In fact, it was probably one of the biggest reasons why I'm trying to figure out what truly happened throughout the whole story. The logical side of me didn't care much for that, I think. There was so much happening through the book that I had a hard time keeping up with a lot of the stuff. I ended up being so immersed in Sarah's and Angus's point of view that I found myself questioning a lot of things. I truly wanted to hug Sarah's daughter, Kirstie (or... Lydia? We just don't know...), due to the fact that she talked to herself a lot and was seen as just being incredibly different. Very heartbreaking.

The one thing that broke my heart the most was watching how toxic the relationship between Sarah and Angus. It takes a bit to really see it develop but I feel like Angus was more focused on himself than anything else. He was most likely a logical thinker, as well, so everything Sarah told him he just denied everything that happened. There's another sort of toxic relationship but it's spoilers so I won't specify who... but, man, it's heartbreaking.

What am I saying? The whole book is heartbreaking. Oh gosh, if I have to review a book like this again... I don't think I can do it. It hurts too much. Oh gosh. It's a good book but it's definitely not a favorite of mine. I'm just... emotionally in pain, don't mind me...

But, hey, you should read my co-blogger's review on this right [here] cause her review is probably more well composed than mine. >: Ooops.




No comments:

Post a Comment