Sunday 3 August 2014

Book Review: Onyx (Lux #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…
Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.
Something worse than the Arum has come to town…
The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.
But then everything changes…
I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?
No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…

 Oh this series just keeps getting better and better. I'm half way through Opal now and ohmygoodness, I can't wait for Opposition! *eek*


As always let's start with the things I loved, the main thing being that we got to see a much sweeter side to Daemon in Onyx. Of course, I love the cocky, asshole side too because it's funny watching Katy get all flustered trying to control her anger laced with lust but this side of Daemon was give-you-a-cavity sweet, bringing Katy coffee and food to school... And the whole cookie situation had me swooning just a tad and by 'a tad' I mean full blown swooning. Does anyone know where I can find a Daemon of my own? Do they grow on trees? I WANT A DAEMON TREE!!


*coughs* Anyways, the next part of this book I loved reading about was how, even though she tried to put the attraction down to the weird alien mojo, Katy fell for Daemon a little more each day. They still had their banter and arguments but you could tell that the ice was melting. It was really refreshing to see the girl fall for the guy gradually opposed to all at once. The love at first sight thing is cute and all but I way prefer the romance to be spread through the book. It's even better when the guy is trying to prove his affection! Oops, my expectations in guys just rose a little more (if that's possible).

Even though Daemon tries his best to persaude Katy it's not all about this weird connection they have now, she still holds strong. She tells herself she wont kiss him until she knows he's being serious whereas most girls would jump at the chance to lock lips with a sexy, badass alien... even though she does slip once or twice (or three times) that's fine. She doesn't succumb to his charms and sit at his feet, not even when they finally get together. You go, Katy!

Okay, so the DOD was brought into the story which brought the new story line. We finally got our main questions answered, like what Katy was and why she could do what she could. Then, of course, more questions took the place of the answered ones, but (without giving a spoiler) I really like what Jennifer made Katy. Everything that she writes is wonderful and she manages to link things together so well that, when all the answers come, we understand completely. Everything makes sense... well as much sense as a story involving light-bulb aliens can have.


SPOILER (Highlight if you'd like to read)

Dawson came back! Albeit, he was a little out of it, but who wouldn't be after what he's presumably gone through? I'm really excited to read more about him and to see Dawson and Daemon together. 

The last thing I loved is that the next book is already released which meant I could go straight to book 3 with no bookish hangover whatsoever. By the time I've finished Origin, Opposition will be released and on it's way to my house! *Makes noise only dogs can hear* This will also, suprisingly, be the first series I've ever read all the way through! I usually either read a couple of the books, stop and then never get back to them or I get distracted with a new series but this series has been absolutely incredible so far and I hope the other half of Opal, Origin and Opposition will not let me down, I doubt they will. So, round of applause to Jennifer for writing kick ass books and congrats for being the first author I ever read an entire series by... I actually have been reading the Lux series cover to cover which just goes to show how enthralling it is!


Now for the cons, which compared to the pros are few. Okay, so Katy and Daemon took their SWEET TIME getting together. I love it when the tension is dragged out but holy crap, I was about the burst! I just couldn't keep up! One second they were kissing and sharing a bed and the next they're shouting at each other and arguing. GAH. The biggest kick in the face was Adam's death. Poor Adam:( I grew to like him when he got together with Dee and then BAM. Gone. Dead. Why Jennifer, why?!

And finally, there was less Dee, she's my favourite character to read about! She's not all doom and gloom and serious, it's refreshing really. After reading the first half of Opal, she's not in much of that either - for an actual reason this time. I miss her! I'm hoping her and Katy will find a way to sort out the whole Adam blame thing and become friends again, it's clear to see that Dee isn't the same without her best friend.

And now for my favourite scenes/quotes:


This first one is when Katy is explaining to Daemon why she has to let Blake train her.


“This isn’t just about you and what you want. Or what you’re afraid of. This is about me—my future and my life. Granted, I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life when it came to college, but now I face a future where if I step out of the range of the beta quartz, I’m going to be hunted. Like you. My mom will be in danger if an Arum sees and follows me home. And then there’s this whole DOD mess.”


I squeezed my hand around the obsidian. “I have to be able to defend myself and the people I care about. Because I can’t expect you to always be there to protect me. It’s not right or fair to either of us. That’s why I’m training with Blake. Not to piss you off. Not to get with him. I’m doing it so that I can stand beside you, as your equal, and not be someone you need to protect. And I’m doing this for myself, so that I don’t have to rely on anyone to save me.”


And this next one is just an example of the banter between Daemon and Katy that I adore so much!

“Maybe they’re getting some bow-chicka-pow-wow.”

I looked at him. “Ew.”

He flashed his teeth. “She’s definitely not my type.” His gaze dropped to my lips, and parts of me quivered in response to the heat in his gaze. “But now I totally have that on my mind.”

I was breathless. “You’re a dog.”

“If you pet me, I’ll—“

“Don’t even finish that sentence,” I said, fighting a grin.” 

And this one... well, just read it.

“Kitten,” he growled roughly.

I kissed him softly, sliding my hands into his silky locks, letting the pieces slide through my fingers. I tasted in him my own rising desire, my own need and heartache. Thrilling. Frightening. I pulled back.

“Kitten,” he said again, voice strained. “You don’t get to do that and then stop. That’s not how it works.”
I stared at him, my breath stalling in my lungs.

“Not when you’re mine.” Daemon backed us up and slid down the wall, pulling me on his lap so I was straddling him. “And you’re mine.” 

ALL THE FEELS.

Okay, so I wont be doing a review for Opal. Instead I think I may do a '10 reasons you should read the Lux series'. Any ideas for another Lux orientated post I could do?

No comments:

Post a Comment