Friday 22 January 2016

Book Review: The Witches of Blackbrook by Tish Thawer

The Witches of BlackBrook (Witches of BlackBrook #1) by Tish Thawer
Publication Date: June 23rd, 2015
Format: Kindle
Through space and time, sisters entwined. Lost then found, souls remain bound.

Three sisters escape the Salem witch trials when the eldest casts a spell that hurtles their souls forward through time. After centuries separated, fate has finally reunited them in the present day.

One the healer, one the teacher, and one the deceiver.

Will their reunion return their full powers, or end their souls journey forever?

A Witches of BlackBrook novel.
Huge thanks to Xpresso Book Tours for giving me my own ecopy of this book in return for a honest review!

This is an interesting concept that really caught my eye. It does help that I am interested in books related to witches (yeah, yeah, I'm sure you guys have heard this from me a lot by now) and I liked that it involves three sisters fated to be together again in the future after their deaths at the Salem witch trials.

Now the girls have been reborn in the present US. They have been reborn in many time frames before this one but the sisters have yet to truly be together all this time. Because of this, they keep being reincarnated closer towards the future. This time, though, both sisters Trin and Kit are determined to finally reunite their third sister with them. They're still witches, just like their former incarnation, and they use their powers for their daily lives and for guidance to finding that third sister. They have to find each other - they have to.

Things start to go uphill, though, when one of the sisters have a connection with one of her clients at a spa job - one that normally indicates that they're of a magical connection and could be one of her sisters. Even though the last time she felt this certain connection during this lifetime ended up being a dud, she still finds herself determined to reconnect with this new person.

Now - on to one of the details that have irked me ever since I've even read this book: the characters' way of blending into their new environment as if they were born there. I know this sounds a bit tricky. It's a bit confusing because, as far as I know, it doesn't really state whether they're reincarnated as an actual infant and grow like a normal human or if they're automatically reincarnated as an adult. I don't even know if this line of reasoning makes even an ounce of sense. If it's the former, then I can see how they can fit in easily in the modern world as they actually grew up in it (but... how do they retain even a little bit of their memories?). If it's the latter, then... well, I'm still confused.

The point is - much of the backstory has been left to interpretation. The book doesn't really explain much on how reincarnation works in this instance. I know that the oldest sister cast a spell to keep all three sisters' souls bound, but I don't know what that really entails entirely. I know they don't recall most of their past lives, so what they do remember they hold on to, but how do they just... know their past and when do they recall that they have a interest in spells?

Another thing that remains constant is that they aren't the only three people being reincarnated into the next life. Why is that? Whyyyyyyy?

I know I'm overthinking a lot of things, which is why I decided not to let this train of thought affect the overall opinion on this book. Despite all of the information that I feel like that have been held back from me, I still felt pulled into the world with these girls and their story. I love it. I highly recommend it - I just want more backstory.

The plot twist though - the plot twist!! I never saw it coming and I'm sure future readers won't see it coming either. It really ties things together when it comes to the main arc and... yeah, I think it's awesome.

If you're looking for an adventure centered around three strong female leads, which does involve a love interest but it's not as emphasized compared to other teen fiction books, I would highly recommend it. Get it!



1 comment:

  1. I already have this book in my tbr and I definitely need to read it now. The concept and the plot sounds pretty interesting. Great review!

    -Poulami @ Daydreaming Books

    ReplyDelete