Wednesday 26 August 2015

Book Review! Awake by Natasha Preston

Awake by Natasha Preston
Publication Date: August 4th, 2015
Genre: YA, Mystery, Romance, Suspense
Scarlett doesn’t remember anything before the age of five. Her parents say it’s from the trauma of seeing her house burn down, and she accepts the life they’ve created for her without question—until a car accident causes Scarlett to start remembering pieces of an unfamiliar past.

When a new guy moves into town, Scarlett feels an instant spark. But Noah knows the truth of Scarlett’s past, and he’s determined to shield her from it...because Scarlett grew up in a cult called Eternal Light, controlled by her biological parents.

And they want her back. 
*Spoilers are hidden. Highlight over the text to reveal!*

Would you look at that cover? It's gorgeous. That's what suckered me in to requesting an ARC of this book, but also because I adore anything and everything in the creepy-mystery-suspense genre. AWAKE seemed like the perfect fit but unfortunately it fell so flat for me... And for many others which I realized as soon as I went on to the Goodread's page and went through some other blogger's ratings and reviews. Whew, a definite miss.

First of all, the story's plot line started really well. I got to about 32% before it all went to hell but before then I was really enjoying it! I was really intruiged, fully immersed and ready for the big answers to start revealing themselves. Unfortunately what should have been the most exciting parts of the book made me stop reading, put my kindle down and think 'what the absolute f did I just read?'

The whole story revolved around the fact that Scarlett couldn't remember the first four years of her life and she'd been told it was because of this big fire, blah blah blah. BUT who on earth can remember the first four years of their lives? I know I sure as hell can't. I mean, damn, I can barely remember what I did yesterday let alone when I was that young. Is that just me? I mean I have tiny memories of being that young but nothing substantial. Nothing to lose my shit over. That really bugged me... But anyways, moving on.

At first it was all a mystery and I couldn't pinpoint the bad guys and I was excited for the big reveal but as soon as the story started to unravel more my dislike for the plot and the characters sky-rocketed.

Noah was ugh. That's the best word I can think of to describe him... He was a crap love interest in all honesty. Instead of swooning and wanting him for myself I found myself loathing  his character altogether. He was spineless, willing to do bad things for his 'family'. He looked the devil right in the face and agreed to do his bidding because he thought it was the right thing to do. He thought KILLING SOMEONE WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO just in case Scarlett, the girl he was in love with just FYI, was in fact the key to eternal life like he was brought up to believe. What a crazy bastard.

At 37% I genuinely but this note in my ARC: "Going to carry on due to sheer horror induced curiosity. Dear god." HA! I was so over it at this point but I powered through all the way to the end.

Now... The ending. I'm not sure if there will be a sequel but the ending suggests that there should be. If not then the ending is worse than I thought because it's not exactly a happy-everything-is-okay-now ending that made me feel satisfied. I doubt there will be a sequel either way just because the book hasn't received much praise at all.

That all being said, I'm still going to read The Cellar by Natasha Preston. Just because I didn't like this book doesn't mean I'm never going to read her work again! I read Silence a while ago and really liked it which is why I saw a familiar author's name on Netgalley and requested AWAKE. Unfortunately I just didn't feel the same about this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment